Saturday, June 02, 2007

Pulitzer Number One: His Family: 1918


First of all, my obnoxious plan to read all the Pulitzers does not merit the lovely comments I received on my last post about it. But the comments were lovely, indeed. Who knows how far I'll get with this, but I know I won't get very far this summer. I'll try, though. It may take me years. I may just quit.

So I'm just beginning His Family by Ernest Poole. It won the first Pulitzer Prize for the Novel. No award was given in 1917. It's takes place in New York City at the turn of the century. It's about a widower who is struggling to get to know his three grown daughters better before he dies. He sees how "modern" they are and how times are changing. He's most aware,though, of the changes in the city. He notices and dwells upon the city's evolution, from the stories told to him by people of his parents' generation, to how it was when he first moved there as a young man (horse-drawn carriages in the streets), to what it's becoming at the time the story takes place. Highrises are going up in his neighborhood, minority populations are growing (and by minority he means Italians and Jews), and his daughters go out dancing at night. It should be interesting to see where this goes.

3 Comments:

Blogger 1morechapter said...

Hi Camille! Read your post over at the Dystopian Challenge.

If you're going to read all the Pulitzers, I'd like to invite you to be part of the Book Awards Challenge. It's reading 12 award winners (of any prize) from July 1 to June 30 of next year.

One of my personal goals this year was to read 12 Pulitzers. I'm halfway there. I did like The Road. I'd think you would be okay with it. I'm not into gory hardcore stuff either and I liked it.

Hope you stop by and check it out!
htp://bookawardschallenge.blogspot.com

10:55 AM  
Blogger Kimmie said...

I decided to read all the Pulitzers when I found a to-do List of Bests. I'll be keeping track about what you think of them.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

This one sounds intriguing. I look forward to your final review!

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home