Saturday, January 19, 2008

Good Saturday, Saw Snow

It snowed all day! Accumulation? Zero. My poor niece (9) who lives two hours south of us in southern Virginia apparently stood out in it for a little while and then longingly watched Weather Channel images of New England and other states where snowbanks abound. I think one of these years I'd like to spend a winter in Minnesota or northern Vermont or somewhere with a hardcore winter. New Jersey was always good for deep snow and cold in winter, but I haven't had enough. Maybe I'd like to be in this chilly state for fall, too. Virginia, though, has a lovely spring. It pops flowers and buds like nobody's business starting in March.

Well, I'd hoped for some alone moments today but didn't really get any. I would have--M. was going to take Nick with him to dispose of a trailer load of raked leaves--but M.'s uncle came to visit instead. He was there right through Kari's nap. That's OK, I'm having my time now. Nick went to bed so nicely tonight that I had a rather lengthy evening to catch up on blogs. M. didn't think he had a movie in him tonight, and me either, actually. We have Strictly Ballroom to watch and we just mailed back Ratatouille. I fell asleep in the middle of Ratatouille. I have to be really, really tired to do that. And also, I found it a little boring. So M. told me the ending and that was enough for me.

I had a bag of dried navy beans that I had to use up so I made soup tonight. (I know I've had these beans for almost a year because we bought them when Kari was first born last March and we thought we would freeze them and use them to alleviate any breast engorgement I might have had. Well, that never happened, so why not make soup?!) So I quick-soaked the beans and put them in a pot with chicken broth and water, bay leaves, onion and garlic. I simmered that for awhile. Then added diced potato, sliced carrots, tiny cubed cooked ham, kale, S&P, I think was it. We ate it with crusty bread and a glass of red wine. Awesome winter dinner. And the soup was Core, too.

6 Comments:

Blogger ItchyBits said...

I can't believe you bonked on Rat. I really liked that movie...I get mesmerized by the artistic part of it...so cool how they pull these things together. That soup sounded really good.

1:11 AM  
Blogger Camille said...

Yeah, I agree that movies like that are amazing in their detail...I mostly blame it on tiredness. Also, we couldn't get the King of Queens guy out of our heads and separate him from the rat.

7:02 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

I don't think you really want to spend an entire winter in MN. A week in January would be enough! It was -12 when we left for church this morning. Not factoring in windchill =)

1:01 PM  
Blogger Nyssaneala said...

What a great day for soup! It snowed here on Thursday, and stuck for a day or so, but it's mostly gone now. Today it's just freezing (20F) but sunny.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Lesley said...

I love Strictly Ballroom! Great movie.

It snowed here all day yesterday, too, and a lot of it actually stuck around, since the temperature hasn't gone above freezing. When we were out driving around today, we saw all these little snowmen that kids had managed to scrape together out of the couple inches we got. Still, for Atlanta, this is a major snowstorm! Luckily I have lots of firewood.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Liesl said...

Sounds like you got more snow than we've gotten in NJ all winter. I really hope we get at least one big storm this year...

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home