Thursday, August 09, 2007

Gone to New York: Book One: Armchair Traveler Challenge

Gone to New York: Adventures in the City is a collection of "Talk" pieces from The New Yorker written by Ian Frazier over a period of about 10-12 years. Ian Frazier is one of my super-favorite literary nonfiction writers. He doesn't work for the The New Yorker anymore, and has since written books such as Great Plains, On the Rez, and Family, all of which I've loved.

Gone to New York gives the reader fascinating snippets of New York life as seen from an outsider of sorts. Although Frazier lived there, he was born and raised in Ohio and was constantly amused. He writes about his obsession with bags hanging from trees all through Brooklyn and Manhattan and what he decided to do about it, his description of Canal Street from one end of the island to the other, and a walk he decided to take from his suburban town in New Jersey to Manhattan via Route 3, plus much more. It's a great introduction to Ian Frazier if you've never read him before. It's fascinating facts, interesting people, and great stories.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nyssaneala said...

I've never heard of Ian Frazier, he is definitely going on the TBR list. I wish I had this book to take with me this weekend to NYC. We go there all the time to visit hubby's brother and extended family, so I'm sure I'll have another opportunity!

10:38 AM  
Blogger 1morechapter said...

Hi Camille!

It had also been my goal to read all of the Pulitzers, so I created a site for those also interested in that goal.

I'd like to invite you to join! If you don't want to participate in that particular blog site, I'd still like to list you on the sidebar if that's okay. Let me know.

11:13 AM  
Blogger 1morechapter said...

Forgot to give you the site!

pulitzerproject.blogspot.com

11:20 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

This sounds really good! Will definitely be on my TBR. Hope the little guy is sleeping better!

I'm just getting back from vacation and I'm trying to catch up with everyone!

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home