Friday, June 22, 2007

The Armchair Traveler Reading Challenge



I have finally assembled a list for this challenge which I must take part in because it's hosted by the illustrious Lesley at A Life in Books. How could I refuse? Some of these may be stretches, but maybe not.

by Ian Frazier
Reason for reading: Ian Frazier is one of my favorite literary nonfiction writers and my sister just moved to Astoria, Queens.

The Historian (Eastern Europe)
by Elizabeth Kostova
Reason for reading: I bought it a long time ago and it's one of those TBRs that's been hanging out under the night table.

Blue Latitudes (world exploration)
by Tony Horwitz
Reason for reading: Although I hated Confederates in the Attic, I still like the genre of literary nonfiction and if there were ever a travel-themed book, here it is.

Uncommon Carriers (transcontinental US, Canada, Europe)
by John McPhee

Reason for reading: Although this book is about freight transportation and shipping it's also about travel because travel is an intrinsic part of shipping and freight. McPhee travels with cargo from Nova Scotia to Kentucky, New England, France, and the Illinois River.

by Logan Ward

Reason for reading: The main concept of this book is along the lines of those PBS House series where a group of people lives in the setting of a specific time period in history to experience it firsthand. Yet there is a strong sense of place in it as well since the family has relocated from NYC to a small community in western Virginia which becomes a huge part of their lives.


by Heather Lende

Alternates:
Wide Sargasso Sea (Caribbean)
by Jean Rhys

Tropic of Cancer (Paris)
Henry Miller









6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I've been called a lot of things, but never illustrious! :D

You've got some interesting-sounding books there (and I don't think any are stretching it). I'm particularly interested to hear what you'll think of Uncommon Carriers and See You in a Hundred Years - I may end up adding them to my wishlist.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Camille said...

Lesley--Well, when I saw you were hosting a challenge, I just knew I had to participate. I'm excited about the books--it took me awhile to get organized, but I'm happy with the list. :)

10:38 PM  
Blogger Suey said...

The Historian is one those books that I'm jealous of people who are reading it for the first time... I wish I could read it again... for the first time! Loved it! Hope you enjoy it too.

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suey--Wow! Now that's a compliment on a book if I ever saw one!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I agree with Suey! The Historian is a great book, and you will read it in a very short amount of time. It is very addictive! I read it in three days, I just couldn't stop!!! I hope you enjoy it!

7:33 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

I love Wide Sargasso Sea.

I haven't read The Historian yet, but I really want to. I look forward to your review.

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home