Thursday, May 10, 2007

A Week in Suburbia

Sometimes I like to book my weeks up solid so we have a plan for every day and sometimes I like a week where we have no obligations and we can hang out around the house and watch Curious George and do laundry and change bedsheets and stuff. Last week was of the former type, this week is like the latter.

Last Monday we went to the Little Gym, but that's a weekly thing anyway. I'm not signing Little Guy up again after this semester because he'll be three at the end of the summer and that's when the toddler classes end and it turns into real gymnastics. Maybe we'll switch to Romp and Roll because I think they have music and art and classes like that. That would just be for the summer because, if all goes well with potty training this summer, he'll be in preschool twice a week starting this fall.

OK, WHY does Little Guy ask for ice cream or gummies for breakfast every single day? He doesn't get to have it, for breakfast, ever. Yet he persists.

Anyway, then Tuesday we went with my "moms walking group" for a walking tour of an old neighborhood. Gorgeous. Never knew it was there.

Wednesday we had Art in the Park with the walking group moms. We sat with our toddlers under the picnic enclosure at the park and did sculpture (played with Play Doh). Next week it's making a "stained glass" thing, the week after that is with stickers, etc. It's a 4-week event.

Thursday we went as guests to a moms group that one of my friends belongs to and which she wants me to join. It's in a church building and you leave your kids in the daycare rooms downstairs and then go upstairs with the other moms. (Q. is young enough that I could take her upstairs with me.) Little Guy, however, had never been left before to play anywhere. He screamed, of course, but I knew he'd be OK after a little while and we have to start somewhere with me leaving him. He starts preschool in the fall. If he were any younger, I probably would have freaked out the whole time wondering how he was, but he'll be three in August so I figured he could hold his own.

The group itself kind of reminded me of a religious sorority meeting. It didn't entirely match with my personality, but the other women there seemed nice and interesting. We'll see. I won't be joining this fall, though.

Another reason I'm not jumping to join is when I went down to get Little Guy, as I was zipping up his jacket he said, "I didn't like that preschool." I was like, "No, that wasn't preschool. That was just a playroom where you went to play with J. (the son of the friend who brought us.) I don't want him to associate that experience with preschool. Then the next day, we were at my parents' house and he told my mom about a toy he played with in the "scary playroom." Also, on the way home that morning after the moms group, he told me that the teacher said I would be mad. I said, "She said I would be mad?" And he said, "Yeah, because I was crying." So that didn't sit well with me either.

Then Friday we had Q.'s two-month well check-up. She is in the 50th percentile for weight and 97th for height. It was so nice and different to see those numbers as opposed to Little Guy who was ALWAYS 110th for height and weight every single check-up. I wonder if he will be now. I guess most 2 1/2 year-olds don't weigh 39 pounds. We'll see in August.

And lastly, I'm reading Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale right now, and I can't put it down. Well, I frequently have to put it down, but if I didn't have to, I wouldn't. It's amazing.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did she write the Poisonwood Bible, too? I've been too snobby to even find anything out about her. Maybe I'll give it a try. Tell us how you like the book.

My best friend from grade school belongs to a churchy-moms group. Of course I don't have kids but I just could never see myself at anything like that. They have fundraisers, elect presidents and team leaders, and make crafts. I mean I guess if you like that sort of thing...but I would feel like a June Cleaver or something.

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funky--Barbara Kingsolver wrote the Poisonwood Bible, another writer I really like. I think you would like Prodigal Summer of Kingsolver's. This is my second Atwood book--I read Oryx and Crake a long time ago. But this book makes me want to read everything she ever wrote. I'm loving not only the story but her writing style.

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and they make crafts at this mom's group, too! And did I mention the game? Where they all had to sit in a circle and one person sat in the middle and had to say a true statement about themselves and anyone else who could also apply that statement to themselves had to jump up and run to another seat, like musical chairs. I just don't see that happening in my life. :)

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no...

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home