Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Mother's Day

Everyone's telling about their lovely Mother's Days and Hot Wives Days, so I thought I'd share mine. It seems that everyone got super-sweet cards, breakfast in bed, time alone with their laptops or books, and some nice family togetherness. When Little Guy was 8 months old (his first Mother's Day) I, too, got breakfast in bed and a supercute letter "written" by Little Guy. I don't remember last year's Mother's Day when Little Guy was 20 months.

Well, I didn't get any free time like I was hoping, but I did get this. Which was very nice. And not at all what I expected. And it's pink like my fake iPod. I never knew I liked little pink gadgets, but that's what M. keeps buying me. And they are cute.

In the morning, I didn't get to sleep in. M. did take the baby downstairs to feed her at about 7:30, but then a few minutes later, Little Guy woke up so I went and got him. Then I drove to Starbucks to get myself a vanilla latte and a hot chocolate for M. When I got back, M. was making pancakes. Which means he was standing in front of the stove making strange, thick, dough patties and complaining that the recipe on the back of the Aunt Jemima box was wrong. So I took over and made the pancakes.

Then we loitered around for a few hours and tried, unsuccessfully, to get Little Guy to take a nap. After fifteen minutes, he stood up in his bed and yelled, "I'm ready to go to Ashland!" So we went to Ashland which is a small town close by. Everything was closed on a Sunday. But it's known for its train tracks that run down the middle of the main street and the trains were running. So we got to watch an Amtrak and a CRX freight train go by. I love trains. When I was little, my grandparents lived exactly below the Roselle Park, NJ, train station and so I saw and heard trains almost every day. So that was exciting. We walked around the closed town for a little while and then went to eat lunch at a really gross restaurant attached to a hotel. Why did we go there? I don't know, but Little Guy's hamburger was raw when they brought it to the table and the server for the next table kept complaining about how he was supposed to have gone off duty by then.

But that was OK. It was interesting. We ended up going to my parents' house for dinner where Little Guy got so tired, he said he was going upstairs to go to bed. Which made me feel guilty that he didn't take a nap. But we tried. The naps are an issue for contemplation right now.

So that was Mother's Day. It was a good day.

Here is Little Guy with me circa our first Mother's Day, two years ago.

4 Comments:

Blogger ItchyBits said...

Aww what a cute picture. I pictured you with longer dark hair! I always have high expectations for Mother's Day--ptth! I crack up when I see guys out fishing or riding their bikes on MD--yup--what is your wife doing?---home with the kids as always.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Camille said...

Thanks! My hair is a little longer now, but I never get a chance to straighten it so nicely as it was in that picture. :)

Yes, so true about the guys out on Mother's Day. I thought I might not get time alone so that's why I chose to go to Starbucks, instead of him. 10 minutes in the car is better than nothing!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Liesl said...

What a sweet picture :)

Um, I went grocery shopping on Mother's Day, so yeah, not much to report here either...but I would have loved to watch the trains. I love trains as much as my son :)

I'm glad you had a good day!

7:19 PM  
Blogger Camille said...

Liesl-
Yes, but the question is, did you go grocery shopping alone? :)

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home