Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Kids Say . . .

You know those plastic, plain picture frames that have magnets on the back for refrigerators or file cabinets? Where you just stick the picture into the slot and then usually the picture falls right out the bottom when you stick up the frame? Well, anyway, Little Guy was sitting in front of the refrigerator the other day and pulled one of those apart until it broke.

"Why did you do that?" I say, throwing the plastic pieces in the garbage.
"Was there a picture in it?"

"Yes," he says and shows me the picture.

It was of my brother and me on the Spirit of New Jersey cruise after his high school graduation in 2001. I had on a sundress and my hair was a little past chin length.

"Don't you know who these people are?" I say, joking to Little Guy.

"Uncle John," he says.

"And?"

"I don't know," says Little Guy.

"Who's this?" I ask, pointing to myself.

"I don't know," he replies again.

"It's Mommy!" I say.

He draws in his breath in amazement.
"I didn't know you were a lady!" he says. "And now you're a Mommy!"
All of this with wide eyes and a shocked expression.

C'mon. Can't you be a lady in capri-length sweatpants, maternity T-shirts, and flip-flops?

6 Comments:

Blogger ItchyBits said...

Ouch! My son is in a class with another boy who has a mother that wears the same black adidas capri track pants--white sripes down the side--that is all I ever see her in and she is thin! She'll put on a nice top --- track pants on bottom.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Gentle Reader said...

Tee hee--kids say the darnedest things. And I love my capri-length sweatpants, I'm not giving them up, no matter what my kids say!

11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bettybetty--No worries about the same ones every day because I have lots of different ones! Navy blue, gray, even green. But hopefully when my kids are school age, I'll be able to muster up some jeans and non-maternity tops by then.

Gentle Reader--I'm with you, not giving them up, whether my two-year-old thinks I'm a lady or not. :)

1:03 PM  
Blogger Bookfool said...

Aww, that's cute. He'll figure out you're not just a mommy, some day. :)

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cute.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Liesl said...

Hee hee! Liam wanted to know why I was laughing when I read this, and I tried to explain, but he doesn't get it because "all Mommies ARE Ladies!" So, clearly, one can indeed be a lady in capri sweats :)

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home