Friday, May 11, 2007

Friday's Feast

Feast 143

Appetizer
Tell about a time when you had to be brave.
I don't know about brave, that might have been my first day of teaching.

But the time in my life that I had to be the strongest was when M. (husband) had a brain aneurysm burst. He had brain surgery to stop the bleeding and clip the aneurysm. Then he was in the ICU for about two weeks and then a "step-down" unit for about a week and half more, which is short for a brain bleed. It happened all of a sudden while we were hanging around the house one weekend and he was studying for the P.E. (professional engineers exam). I suddenly had to be the decision-maker. I chose a hospital, drove him there, ran in the ER to get a nurse to come out with a wheelchair (he could barely walk by that time). I signed the release for his surgery after the surgeon told us the risks (33% of people die; 33% of people are never the same, sometimes physically, sometimes mentally; and 33% are fine.) M. was one of the lucky ones. But after surgery, we weren't so sure for awhile because he seemed to be having a personality change. He was mean as a snake, and that's not like M. at all. He was sarcastic, rude, all kinds of mean. It turns out it was probably a mix of lack of sleep, pain, and narcotics. He was talking crazy half the time as well. So I kind of resigned myself to the fact that he might be like this from now on. But he wasn't. People kept telling me how strong I was, during his surgery, during his recovery, once he got home, etc. I think, coming from a dysfunctional family growing up, I'm better in dire situations than tiny, daily problems that come up.


Soup
Which upcoming movie are you excited about seeing?
I'm not sure what's out right now, but I really want to see "The Pursuit of Happyness" on DVD.

Salad
Name an item you try to always have on hand.
toilet paper, dishwasher detergent, laundry detergent, hand soap, soy milk, baby formula, apples and bananas, diapers and wipes; that about sums up my life

Main Course
Imagine the most relaxing room you can think of. Now describe it!
A living room in a beach house with sliding glass doors that open to the beach. There is a veranda that leads to the beach outside the doors. There are bookshelves full of books in the room, but they are not damaged by the salty air or dampness. The room has wood floors and cream colored couches with slipcovers. I don't know. I'm bored of this.

Dessert
On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being highest), how spiritual or religious are you?
Religious: 3
Spiritual: 7/8

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that experience with your husband was such an emotional rollercoaster, I'm sure. Aneurysms scare the bejesus out of me.

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lesley--Yes, it was crazy. But we were so lucky that he recovered super fast, relatively speaking, and was better than ever. All he has now to show for it is the scar on his head. :)

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home