Saturday, May 26, 2007

Eight Things About Me

Since I'm a wannabe book blogger and like to hang out with the big kids, I'm going to be like the Little Sister in Mercer Mayer's "Me, Too!" and do this ubiquitous meme. (If I had known about blogs before I had two little kids, I would have been able to post a lot more about books. But now I'm down to my 30 minutes a day of reading before I fall asleep with the book on my face.)

Here are the details:

1: Each player starts with 8 random facts/habits about themselves.
2: People who are tagged, write a blog post about their own 8 random things, and post these rules.
3: At the end of your post you need to tag 8 people and include their names.
4: Don't forget to leave them a comment and tell them they're tagged, and to read your blog.

1. I was born and raised in Union, New Jersey, and lost most of my accent in college when all anybody wanted to do is hear me say, "I'm getting cawfee at the mawl." Then they laughed and said I was from the "Armpit of the United States" or "The Garbage State." Nice, huh? I'm proud be a New Jerseyan, though. I moved to Virginia when I was 23.

2. I never drank coffee until I worked in a Barnes & Noble cafe (Springfield, NJ Rt. 22). Then I couldn't stop.

3. I used to be a litigation paralegal for a big law firm and applied and got into law school. I put down my deposit and then realized that I didn't want to be a lawyer. So I went to graduate school and got a Master's in Writing and Rhetoric.

4. I've only been out of the country twice--and both times were for spring break. I went to Cancun one year and the Bahamas the next. I used to be a bit of a party girl.

5. I put my sister through hour after hour of "playing school" when we were little. Sometimes, if she weren't available, I'd teach my stuffed animals and dolls. I am now a certified elementary school teacher. I was teaching first grade when I became a stay-home mom with my first. I love what I'm doing now, but I'm excited to get back to teaching. Case in point: We went with my mom's walking tour group to a historical house the other day and five yellow school buses drove by for a field trip there.

I got goose bumps.

6. I love to be barefoot. But flip-flops are a close second.

7. I have a short name that can't really be turned into a nickname and so does my husband, but both our kids have longish names that are not used because they go by the accepted nickname. By accepted, I mean, Bill for William, Katie for Katherine, Judy for Judith, etc.

8. If I had a full free day all to myself I would: sleep until I woke up on my own, go out for coffee, read, take a walk, write, blog, run errands, read, do a little housework, and listen to music, either in the car or blasting in the house. Right now I'd put on "November Rain" by Gn'R (still a sucker for the old Axl even after 15 years), the Guinevere soundtrack, Beethoven's Seventh Symphony (my very favorite), and that song from Curious George by Jack Johnson. (I have a big Curious George fan in the house.)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to have a Newfoundland accent (similar to Irish) but I lost it after moving to Nova Scotia when I was 11. I love accents and wish I still had mine. Although I do have my Canadianisms still, like aboot. I never did say 'eh' though. :)

9:07 AM  
Blogger Camille said...

A Newfoundland accent sounds very cool. I don't think I realized you were from Canada. I worked with a bunch of people from Toronto who were starting a branch of their business in NJ and they all said, "eh" all the time. :)

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cancun and the Bahamas? You go girl! Sometimes it's nice to remember who mama was before she was mama :)

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Cancun... Love that place!! The margaritas, sun, dance clubs. So many fun memories :)

2:48 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

My sister's name is Camilla, and we all called her Millie when she was little. She's still trying to shake that one (it's okay for the neices and nephew, but if I call her by her nickname, she pummels me.)

I like your idea of a free day. Wish I had one...

2:53 PM  
Blogger Camille said...

Iliana-One weird memory I have is, during one of those flash thunderstorms that come and go so quickly, we ran away from the pool. When we went back, I saw that someone had stolen my Tevas!

Melissa-I think Millie is such a cute nickname! Yes, wouldn't a free day be nice.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

I quickly learned to drop my NY accent (or at least minimize it) when I went to college also. Too many roommates and friends would repeatedly ask me to pronounce words like dog (dawg), coffee (cawfee), drawer (drawh), etc. Now that I am a Massachusetts resident I like to think I've dropped the accent completely, but my husband (native MA person) tells me not so :) If I get excited or angry about something I start talking really quickly and the old accent becomes a tad more pronounced. I guess you never truly lose it ;)

3:54 PM  
Blogger tanabata said...

Barefoot or Birks = my preferred summer footwear. :P
BTW, I found you through Dewey's Blogroll Game.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Liesl said...

Hey, I didn't realize you are a teacher - that's cool! And if you go back to work, you don't have to worry about summer daycare for the kiddos :)

Oh, and also, Kevin works up near your old haunts - his office is in Kenilworth, but he's in the Union facility on a regular basis, He's in fear he will be transferred to Summit. Should that happen he will not be a happy commuter.

Free day??? Free day??? What a great idea!

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home