Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Book Meme

Saw this on Bookfoolery and Babble. Too fun not to steal.

A book that made you cry: Lonesome Dove; I did not expect to love this book as much as I did. It was such a surprise. But I fell so hard for these characters, especially Gus.

A book that scared you: The Shining and that book that was made into a movie with Linda Blair (I'm so scared of it, I don't even want to name it). I could only read The Shining during daylight hours and that second book, I mailed away to an ex-boyfriend because I didn't even want to keep it in the house. The only reason I read it was for a Gothic literature course in college.

A book that made you laugh: The Country Life by Rachel Cusk. I loved this book, but I don't think I like any of her others.

A book that disgusted you: From Here to Maternity by Beth Teitell. Some of it was funny and right on, but most of it was horrifying to me. I'll say no more because I don't want to get into the whole moms judging other moms stuff.

A book you loved in elementary school: What book didn't I love in elementary school? I loved all of Judy Blume (except Forever, I hadn't gotten to that yet) and all of Beverly Cleary. I remember my very first chapter book was called Betsy's Little Star. Ooh, I remember loving From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg. I'll go with that one.

A book you loved in middle school: I had an insatiable appetite for the Sweet Valley High series in 6th grade. I read Gone with the Wind in 6th grade, too, and loved it. (Our teacher showed us the movie in class and we discussed it so I got obsessed and was even Scarlett O'Hara for Halloween that year.) Sixth grade is also when I started getting into magazines like YM and Teen. I remember reading Who Put that Hair in My Toothbrush? by Jerry Spinelli. I read a lot of Richard Peck, Cynthia Voight, Madeline L'Engle and Katherine Paterson. I loved Watership Down. There was Little Women and The Secret Garden. And, of course, I couldn't get enough of Lois Duncan. Then I went through the scary, creepy Christopher Pike phase. Strange because I hate horror books now. OK, who knew I had all this in me to say about middle grade reading?

A book you loved in high school: Ah, here we move on to V.C. Andrews and Dean R. Koontz. I really loved the creep factor back then. I read a lot of modern classics like Willa Cather's Death Comes to the Archbishop and My Antonia, Richard Wright's Native Son (gross). This is when my love of 19th-century British novels began and I read Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice for the first time. Wuthering Heights. Villette. Thomas Hardy. I read the Lord of the Rings books. Basically I just used to go down the suggested summer reading lists they gave us each year and just read the books in order. Oh, and I discovered James Michener in high school. But my answer is This Side of Paradise because it was in high school that I discovered my love, F. Scott Fitzgerald.

A book you hated in high school: The Scarlet Letter; I should give old Nathaniel another try now that I'm older.

A book you loved in college: Michael Crichton's Travels.

A book that challenged your identity: not sure what this means

A series that you love: I liked The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books. Is that considered a series?

Your favorite horror book: Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice; I also have an anthology of horror short stories called Black Water II edited by Alberto Manguel. An especially creepy story in it is "It's a Good Life" by Jerome Bixby.

Your favorite science fiction book: Green Sky Trilogy by Zilpha Keatley Snyder

Your favorite fantasy book: Earthsea books by Ursula K. LeGuin

Your favorite mystery book: I haven't read a mystery in forever. I used to read the Mary Higgins Clark books in high school. Maybe I should try one soon. I'll need recommendations.

Your favorite biography: How about autobiography. I liked Angela's Ashes and 'Tis.

Your favorite “coming-of-age” book: The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

Your favorite classic: The Grapes of Wrath

Your favorite romance book: Jane Eyre

Your favorite book not on this list: The Known World by Edward P. Jones, The Handmaid's Tale, there are other but I've been working on this meme for so long that I have to quit now.

3 Comments:

Blogger ItchyBits said...

Wow - some memory - I really only remember reading some stuff in middle school - like all the Nancy Drew books and Misty of Chatanooga and Little Big Books. I do remember VC Andrews although I always thought the books were pervy.

10:03 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Great post - I loved Who Put That Hair in My Toothbrush and I also read a lot of Cynthia Voight. And The Outsiders was another favorite of mine :)

11:08 AM  
Blogger meli said...

I love the Earthsea books too.

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home