Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Things That Get Me Through the Day

I so did not realize it was April. I've been in a fog of baby feeding issues, no sleep, a toddler adjusting to big family change, C-section recovery, a house lacking some much needed housework, etc. Anyway, the daffodils are done, and suddenly I have the first tulips and azalea buds. Wow. This happened to me with Little Guy, too. He was born in late August and I completely missed September. Next thing I knew it was October and leaves were changing and my birthday was happening.

So all of March I've been pretty housebound, being physically limited while recovering, and only now just getting used to lifting that heavy baby carrier again. I went to CVS once by myself about two weeks ago, we made two trips to my parents' house 25 minutes away, and just before I went out to get Chinese food. That's about it. Tomorrow I have big plans. The THREE of us (not husband) are going to return the breast pump and then go to Target. Big plans indeed.

So finally, in my cooped up state, here are the things that are bright spots in my day:

the Discovery Channel show "The Deadliest Catch" about the crab fishermen in Alaska. My husband and father used to watch this all the time and I was always like, whatever, stupid boring man show. Now, at midnight, with a fussy reflux baby, I'm like, wow, I'm so glad I'm not on a freezing fishing boat in rough ice waters with 60-foot waves in the Bering Sea. I'm so fascinated. I can't get enough. My favorite boat is the Cornelia Marie. I do feel ecologically bad about all the huge crabs they are catching (76,000 pounds in one trip!), but I love the dynamics and interactions and everything of the crewmembers.

blasting Zeppelin's "I'm Gonna Crawl" in the car (alone!) on the way to get the Chinese food before

the Sunday crossword puzzle (not that I have to time to do it, but just knowing it's there on the floor next to my bed with a nice fresh sharp pencil makes me happy)

emails

the show Between the Lions
I'm admitting now, before god and everyone, that Little Guy has watched more TV in March than he's probably watched his whole life. But I refuse to feel bad. It's not like I had nothing going on. Anyway, there is Dora, Blues Clues, Backyardigans, Reading Rainbow, Clifford, etc, but my favorite is "Between the Lions."
P.S. And now that I'm able to get out again, we will resume our normal (or close to it with a newborn) activities such as my moms walking group (think Metropolitan Moms), library and storytime, errand running, The Little Gym, and other fascinating things of this nature and the TV watching will drop significantly.

5 Comments:

Blogger Liesl said...

Oh, oh, oh I LOOOVE Deadliest Catch. I spent the last couple of weeks catching up on the episodes of Season 2 I missed On Demand, and then when it started again on Tuesday I was all kinds of mad that I couldn't just get the next episode immediately....

I'm already looking forward to next Tuesday :)

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so glad you like it, too! I was kind of self-conscious about how much I like it. I've been catching up on Season 2 because they've been replaying the best moments with Mike Rowe (the guy from Dirty Jobs). I'm definitely looking forward to Tuesdays at 9 now. :)

5:25 PM  
Blogger Liesl said...

Oh, and I love Dirty Jobs, too :) But I didn't realize until last week that Mike Rowe is the narrator of Deadliest Catch. Kevin also tells me Mike Rowe used to be a QVC host, which I find quite amusing...

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What!? I can't wait to tell my husband about the QVC thing. He watches HSN and QVC more than any old lady (which I find so amusing) and he also loves Dirty Jobs.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Liesl said...

lol...I'm assuming the QVC thing is true. Kevin's been known to pull my leg sometimes, but he seemed pretty serious about this story.

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home