Saturday, April 14, 2007

Now That's Motivation

I took Little Guy to Dunkin' Donuts this morning and the woman behind us on line had a baby in a carrier and started talking to us. (I didn't have Q. with us.) She was younger than me, maybe mid-20s. She asked Little Guy the standard questions like, How old are you? and whatever, and then, then! she glances at me (I was wearing M.'s big blue zip-up fleece, no less), and asks Little Guy, "Are you gonna have a little brother or sister?" As soon as I realized what she meant, I wasn't offended, I mean, it's not that outlandish of a question considering that I did give birth six weeks ago, but still. It was six weeks ago. She was skinny and it turns out that she has a five-year-old boy, a three-year-old girl, and the two-month-old baby in the carrier.

So, it's like this. I lost weight really fast after Little Guy because A.) I was nursing, B.) I was walking him in the stroller every day, C.) I was eating well.

This time, I'm A.) not walking with the stroller because, even if Little Guy deigns to get into the double stroller, two seconds later he wants to get out, four seconds after that he wants to get back in, 8 seconds after that he wants to get out and pick a dandelion or get a rock, 5 seconds after that he's back in the stroller but putting his feet on the front wheels so it's that much harder to push, etc.
B.) I'm not nursing and C.) I'm not eating all that well.

I have lost 28.5 pounds so far but have about 20 more to go to get back to pre-pregnancy weight. And then ideally I'd like to lose 30 more on top of that. The 30 wouldn't be entirely necessary, with the initial 20 I'd be back into 12s again, but it would be nice.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG that is so rude though. People shouldn't assume that someone is pregnant, especially a perfect stranger.

Two summers ago I had three different people on three different occasions ask me when I was due. That's when I decided to lose weight, and the thing was that I wasn't all that heavy, I just carry it all on my abdomen. But it taught me a lesson: NEVER assume someone is pregnant.

Sounds like you are doing awesome on losing because 28.5 is nothing to laugh at!

11:16 PM  
Blogger Julia Phillips Smith said...

I'm pretty sure I've had people give up their seat to me on the bus because they thought I was expecting. Let's say my belly's a tad rounded and leave it at that. I've never had any kids, though, so my curves are all my own!

6:16 PM  
Blogger Liesl said...

I used to get that question when I wasn't pregnant...it was kind of a relief when I could answer it and not embarass the poor person who asked...

You've lost a lot of weight, though. I'm impressed! I'm a bit afraid to step on the scale, myself ;-)

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home