Sunday, April 29, 2007

Book Groups

I'm shopping for an online book group. Something like Slaves of Golconda. I guess the way it works is you just have to read the book they're reading and then you can comment and post your own thoughts to your own blog? I see that Iliana has some links in her links section to online book discussion groups. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Too bad Slaves of Golconda didn't decide to read A Canticle for Leibowitz since I just finished that. It was among those books up for a vote for their next read. Instead they chose The Good Soldier by Ford Madox Ford. I haven't read it but it brings me back to my "American Writers in Paris" class from graduate school. We immersed ourselves in Gertrude Stein, Alice B. Toklas, e.e. cummings, Hemingway, Djuna Barnes, that whole crowd. I'm pretty sure this book fits right in with them. And while I'd love to read it, I don't think I'd get it done by May 31st. So maybe I'll wait until their next selection.

I'm so into The Postman right now that I don't think I'll be able to pick up anything else until I'm finished. I can't wait until baby feeding times now because it's a chance when I'm not expected to do anything else and I can just sit with the bottle in my right hand, the baby in my left arm and the book in my left hand. Sometimes I have to read out loud to her because she gets all excited and can't wait to hear what happens in the next chapter.

4 Comments:

Blogger ItchyBits said...

Now that is multi-tasking!

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you'll join in one of the Slaves discussion one day! Each member posts their thoughts on the book on their blogs but then we also "meet up" at the Metauxcafe forums to discuss.
Stephanie's Written Word online book club is also a good one. She'll post discussion questions and people write in their comments.
Hopefully more people will pipe in with answers. I'm sure there are more. I wouldn't mind checking a couple of others out :)

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely try and read along with the Slaves when you get a chance--everyone is very laid back! I know there are some other online book groups--have you seen Kimbofo's group:

http://kimbofo.typepad.com/readingmatters/

Or you could read Don Quixote!? :)

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like The Written Word's discussions, and Kimbofo at Reading Matters also hosts a book club. I believe there's also one called Coffee Rings or something along those lines ...

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home