Friday, March 30, 2007

Real Moms Take Hand-Me-Downs!

This is the Real Moms meme for which I have not been tagged but I really wanted to do it anyway. It was originated by Kristen at The Mom Trap and she made a whole new page for everyone's answers who participates.

Here's how it works:
Put up a post "Real Moms [insert what you do here]", followed by an explanation, a picture, and a "Real Moms. Making ....". Then tag five people.


I've been getting periodic bags of hand-me-downs for Little Guy from my sister-in-law pretty much since he was born. At first, I was like, hmm, do I really want stuff my nephew wore and that other people picked out? Maybe I don't like these clothes. I want to buy all my son's clothes myself. But I sorted through the clothes, picked out the cute ones, and went shopping for a few more little updates here and there. After all, I still had plenty of 0-3 month and 3-6 month outfits to choose from that were gifts when Little Guy was born. But then those gifts started dwindling and I realized that with the change of the seasons and the growth of the boy, I'd have to start outfitting him all on my own. And although I usually shop at places like Kohl's and Target instead of Baby Gap and Gymboree, it still adds up. So I started feeling the way I should about the hand-me-downs. Thankful. Geez, here were perfectly good clothes, cute ones at that, to put on my baby, then 12-month old, then 18-month old, then 2 yr. old boy. Obviously he still gets new clothes, too, but the hand-me-downs are fun to go through and really fill in the gaps.

Well, now I have two to clothe. And today I hit the mother lode. My best friend just gave me all of her daughter's baby clothes from 0-3 months through some 18 months. It took me most of today to sort them into piles, 0-3, 3-6, 6-9, 12, 18, and shoes, socks, and hats. And if she ever has another kid, she gets either all of these clothes back plus my daughter's, or all of Little Guy's clothes, plus all of our combined maternity clothes, which I have yet to put away. Hey, it's been almost 4 weeks--I still need them!


Real Moms. Making yesterday's fashions work for today's playdates.

So now I tag BettyBetty, Heather, Suzanne, and Liesl, and, of course, anyone who sees this and wants to do it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Liesl said...

I love hand-me-downs myself. I didn't buy any maternity clothes this time around - just borrowed them all...

And since the second kid is a boy, he's getting all his older brother's baby clothes. Definitely made getting ready for his arrival easier than the first - we just went "clothes-shopping" in the attic. lol

Thanks for the tag - I'll get on it asap.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Camille said...

I borrowed all of my friend's maternity clothes, too, this time. She doesn't think she's having any more kids so they're in my possession until further notice. :) I did buy a few T-shirts here and there because we had our kids in Aug. and Sept. 2004 and this was a March baby, so not all the seasons fit. And yes, now I have a bins and bins of baby boy clothes with no one to give them to as of yet.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Thanks for the tag.

Hand-me-downs are the best, especially when they are from people who have really good taste...

8:38 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Oh I love hand-me-downs too! Wish I got more of them.

I'll have to think on this before I do it. Might take me a few days; you know how pregnant brains work. Not very well!

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home