Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Year Winter Was Cancelled

I really should take pictures of my two-inch high daffodils and irises and even a baby crocus shoot coming up, but I just don't feel like it. I could be lazy or eight months pregnant or both. In any case, there have been maybe two or three days this winter in which we needed coats. One I remember was December 10 because that was one of the nights my parents had to put out their neighborhood luminarias. (Their neighborhood bands together and puts out luminaria for three nights of judging in addition to all their beautifully decorated Christmas and Holiday houses. Their street wins every year.) Anyway, everyone loves it and no one is acting like it's any big deal, this weather. But it's freaking me out. I hate it! It's mid-60s just about every day and feels and sounds like April. I keep watching the azaleas for buds. But I put my wooden snowman sign on the front door that says, "We Love Winter" as an act of defiance.

In other news, we went to visit a potential preschool for Toddler today that he probably won't attend in the fall. The reason he probably won't attend is that he is 116 on a waiting list of 116 for the three-year-old room. They take 12 kids for that room. So. We'll probably be trying elsewhere. I have another church in mind, a United Methodist one (the one we checked out today was Baptist), and maybe we'll check out the Jewish Community Center?

All Christmas decorations are down and put away! But instead of shoving everything back into the attic, we did a swap and pulled down. . .an infant bathtub, an infant carseat/carrier and two bases, and Toddler's baby clothes. Most of the baby clothes are to be relocated to my parents' hugeass attic, but some of the infant ones are quite girly so I pulled out half a bin's worth to wash up for Newborn. We didn't know what Toddler's gender would be so he ended up with a lot of yellow duckies, aqua, and light green. Also, we're relocating my wedding dress which is in a big, scary, coffin-like box with a window in it. I had no idea that's what the dry cleaners were going to do when I went to have it cleaned (five years after my wedding). Now it's a scary Beetlejuice thing.

Guess I'll go put on my bathing suit and lay out or something.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I feel the same way. It has been mid 50's here all week...I miss winter and am not yet ready for spring. I keep holding out hope for more snow.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I can't believe the winter we have had. We have had like 3 snowfalls or something. I live in Canada! I miss snow. I live here for it. :(

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carl--I'm holding out hope for ANY snow, or temperatures below 50!! If I have to have this baby in a snowstorm, so be it! :)

Kailana--Oh no, and my friend and I were just plotting about where we should move so we could have a winter. We were thinking Minnesota or poor Denver, CO. But if even Canada isn't fairing well. . . can it really be the effects of global warming already?

8:10 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Word on the street here in KC is that by next Friday the temps are going to dip way down and snow is a possibility. I'll believe it when I see it but am keeping my fingers crossed.

4:09 PM  
Blogger ItchyBits said...

I enjoyed the Beetlejuice reference

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home