Monday, January 29, 2007

A Short Dispatch from Among the Pillows

I can't believe I haven't posted since Jan. 17. I also haven't read any blogs since then and just spent the better part of two hours catching up, and I still have a long way to go until I get all the bolds off my Bloglines list.

I'm dispatching my first post from bed today. We bought each other a laptop for Christmas but haven't had a wireless router until this weekend. Now we do and it's working perfectly. Unfortunately, naptime is almost over so this may be a short-lived moment.

I'm still heavy into Ursula Le Guin and reading Tales from Earthsea right now soon to be followed by the last Earthsea novel, The Other Wind. Then I guess I'll just have to pack my bags and go somewhere else, having stayed in Earthsea for a very long, but pleasurable, time. Tales from Earthsea is a book of short stories set in Earthsea, though not necessarily about the characters familiar from the first four novels. Some are stories predating these characters, going into the far history of Earthsea, and some are more recent and kind of bring you up to speed on how some of the characters came to be or fill you in on adventures they've had that were never mentioned in the other novels. And the last story in the collection, the one I just started today, is a link between the two last Earthsea novels. So it pays to read in order. Not that I would read a series any other way.

Toddler is up, laptop must go down.
34 weeks pregnant and counting.
The End for now.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Kailana said...

I took a fantasy course in my third year of university and we had to read Tales from Earthsea. Most of my class hated it. It was bad because now most people would be scared to read the rest of the series if that is any indication. I bravely bought book one, but to be honest, I am scared to read it. I doubt the professor did that method again!

And, good to see you back around! Hope the pregnancy is going well. At least it is cold out and not boiling hot!

I am trying to remember if I have ever commented on this blog before or if I just read it...

8:12 PM  
Blogger Camille said...

Kailana- I think you probably have commented before. If not, I know who you are because I've commented on your blog before. :) Anyway, I think having students read Tales from Earthsea before reading any of the other books was not a good decision. I don't even know how it would make sense to people unfamiliar with the previous books. So I do recommend reading the first book at least but it seems from what I've read people either love these books or hate them.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Anne Camille said...

Good to see you posting - I had wondered if maybe the baby had arrived already. Hope the last weeks of the pregnancy go well. Rest up and stay well!

I've been meaning to read The Earthsea trilogy again. I bought it a few years ago for my son who had no interest in it despite being a sci fi/fantasy fan.

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're not the only one who's been AWOL for much of the month! I've spent the better part of the morning catching up on everyone's blogs and I'm only in the Ds!

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are so many good blogs to keep up on it is impossible! I use Bloglines now, but I find myself marking most posts to read later and then I have a ton of them to keep up on!

10:34 PM  
Blogger ItchyBits said...

Long time no post! How is the pregnancy going? Due date? What kind of laptop did you get? I have been looking at laptops for ages and cannot make my mind up.

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home