Monday, January 29, 2007

Back to Blogging Meme

I feel like whenever I haven't blogged in a long time, I always come back with a meme. I guess it's an easy way to get back into it. Without further ado...

Hardback or trade paperback or mass market paperback?
Hardback or trade, I guess. Usually what I want to read is not usually in mass market, except maybe classics, but then they fall apart so easily.

Amazon or brick and mortar?
Oh, a little of both, I suppose. I love getting fun mail, but I do love a visit to the bookstore as well. As long as I get my books and latte BEFORE we go visit the Thomas the Tank playset

Barnes & Noble or Borders?
Well, I used to be a die-hard B&N girl, having worked in two of them, one in the cafe, one on the bookside. But now, Borders is a teensy bit closer to my house (they're both within 3 miles) and sometimes I think they have a wider selection. But this may not be true. B&N definitely has the better cafe.

Bookmark or dogear?

Bookmark, for sure. But I know I used to dogear as a kid. The mistakes of the young.

Alphabetize by author or alphabetize by title or random?

My books are pretty random. They're kind of together by subject, like Buddhist stuff is together, the Best American Essays are all together, books about writing are together, but beyond that, it's a happy mess. I don't think I'd ever alphabetize by title, though.

Keep, throw away, or sell?
I generally keep, occasionally sell, but throw away a book? In the garbage? No.

Keep dustjacket or toss it?
Throw that away in the garbage, too? Weird! Although I do remove the dustjackets from Toddler's books before they go into his general circulation.

Read with dustjacket or remove it?
Leave it on, unless it keeps sliding off, which hasn't happened in awhile.

Short story or novel?
Novel. I really don't like short stories. I've tried. I just don't.

Collection (short stories by same author) or anthology (short stories by different authors)?
In the case of short stories, I'd go with collection because then you can get a sense of the author and learn whether you can trust her or not and whether you like her or not. Too many short stories get freaky towards the end. In the case of essays, though, I go either way. I love them all.

Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?
Neither. But that's not really fair because I've never read Lemony Snicket and I've only read the first Harry Potter book. No desire to read more.

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
I aim for the chapter break or at the very least, the white space break between paragraphs which show up now and then. Otherwise, if I'm falling asleep and reading the same sentence again and again, I quit then and there.

“It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”?
Once upon a time, but, hey, I need more than that.

Buy or Borrow?
Both, although I haven't borrowed in a long time, and (looking down in shame) I'm not a good returner of borrowed books.

New or used?
Love 'em both!

Buying choice: book reviews, recommendation or browse?
I hate reviews and the NYTBR is boring to me. Also, my local newspaper reviews books I'll most likely never have an interest in. I tend not to trust recommendations, either, because most people I know don't read what I read. BUT, having said that, I have found a lot of bloggers who are kindred reading spirits and do go off of their recommendations. Otherwise, I browse and look online, follow the whimsy of one book leading to another, and I do LOVE book lists.

Tidy ending or cliffhanger?
Whichever, depends on the story

Morning reading, afternoon reading or nighttime reading?
Anything I can get.

Standalone or series?
Both are great, but I do tend to read way more stand alones.

Favorite series?
Earthsea Cycle by Ursula K. Le Guin; Below the Root trilogy by Zilpha Keatley Snyder

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?
The Day I Became an Autodidact by Kendall Hailey

Favorite books read last year?
The Country Life by Rachel Cusk; A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

Favorite books of all time?
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think The Country Life has been sitting on my TBR shelf long enough, so I'm going to try and read that soon!

10:55 AM  
Blogger Shannon Morgan said...

They need to add "give away" and "recycle" to "keep, throw away, or sell?". I can't imagine throwing away a book. I'll throw away food before I throw away a book!

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home