Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Raindrops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens

Or, These Are a Few of My Favorite Things
for my first post of the




So I've been trying to decide on what to post about for the 2006 G.I.F.T. Challenge hosted by Carl V.. I need to write about two tried-and-true Christmas experiences and two new ones. New to me so far has been the movie The Polar Express which I've now seen two-and-a-half times because it's on TV almost every night. But I don't feel very moved to post about it. It's a cute movie once you get used to the strangely robotic animated people and Tom Hanks playing almost everyone. It must have been cool in the theater because there are so many scenes where you feel like you're on a rollercoaster. But anyway, I thought for one of my "old" posts, I'd do just a little montage of some of my favorite things. So here they are:


Favorite Ornament:










The Bookworm

Favorite Decoration:









Bells


Favorite Tradition:








Baking Christmas Cookies

This is not an old tradition but one I started myself. My mom never made Christmas cookies and we just left out for Santa whatever we had, Chips Ahoy, Oreos . . . But I love baking and I'm quite taken with Christmas cookies. I just ordered a Christmas cookie book by Rose Levy Beranbaum who wrote The Cake Bible and I'm very excited about it. Hmm, maybe I should have saved my new cookie tradition for a post about something new. So far I've made vegan sugar cookies, oatmeal chocolate chip toffee cookies, tea cakes, Mormon molasses spice cookies, rugelach, pfefferneusse, and German chocolate cookies. And there'll be more to come.

Favorite Song and Music:
The Little Drummer Boy (especially the version by Bob Seeger on A Very Special Christmas II.)
Look here for all the Very Special Christmas CDs available. They're awesome.
I'm also really liking my Harry Connick, Jr., CD.

Favorite Treat or Dessert: I said Christmas cookies on the holiday meme that went around but now I'm changing it to Balocco Panettone that is sold at some food stores and World Market.

Favorite Things I Miss:
When I was an elementary school teacher I loved the holiday shows where the kids would learn the songs in music class and then we had to make time each day so they could practice in the classroom. We also had to make a prop as a class. Also I just loved doing all the different art projects and reading books about different religions and the holidays celebrated at this time of year.

5 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

I love the Bob Seeger version of The Little Drummer Boy, too. I find that funny because I truly dislike every other song I've heard him sing!

My kids have heard a few other versions of this song, and my daughter always insists on the one that "the boy" sings (as opposed to the version by The Roches, which I also like).

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm interested to hear The Roches version, since I've never heard of them. And yes, I'm not a big Bob Seeger fan either, although I do like "Against the Wind" for some reason, but not really any others of his. Does he sing "Old Time Rock N' Roll?" I really don't like that one.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Very cute bookworm ornament!

I feel bad saying it but The Little Drummer Boy is my least favorite song, period. Can't stand it! I can't help commenting on the fact that Mary would've slapped the crap out of the kid for coming in and playing his drums, waking the baby up! ;) Sorry. Just had to share.

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carl, don't feel bad! That's certainly an aspect of the song I'd never thought of, and come to think of it, I'd have been mad, too, if that had happened with my sleeping newborn. But it's still my favorite song. :)

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I love that ornament!

My favorite Christmas song is 'Mary's Boy Child' - the one by Boney M.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home