Sunday, December 03, 2006

Let Cookie Month Begin!


I was going to bake almost every day this month until Christmas, but I'm gaining too much weight with my pregnancy, so I might back off a little. I am going to freeze most that I make anyway and give them away so it's not like I'll be pigging out on cookies all month. So the first ones I've done have come out great. The very first were vegan sugar cookies for Toddler (dairy/egg allergies). They were SOOOO good. The similarity to real sugar cookies is truly amazing; I bet a lot of people couldn't even tell the difference. I'm not sure if I would have if I hadn't made them myself. Funky, if you make cookies this season, this is a great recipe to try. It's from a library discard sent to me by my best friend in Boston called "Allergy Kitchen 2: The Creative Cookie" by James Rudoff, published in 1987. The picture shows all that's left of them, and we baked them yesterday.

Vegan Sugar Cookies
3 1/4 cups sifted flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk-free margarine (I use Smart Balance Light)
1 3/4 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons egg substitute, plus 4 tablespoons water (I use Ener-G Egg Replacer, which calls for 1 1/2 teaspoons egg substitute with 2 tablespoons water)
1 tablespoon water
granulated sugar

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

Cream the margarine. Add the vanilla and sugar, beating well. Beat in 1 teaspoon egg sub and 2 tablespoons water at a time. Add the 1 tablespoon water. Gradually add the sifted flour mixture, beating only until mixed.

Divide the dough in half, wrapping each half in wax paper and chill in the refrigerator 2 or more hours. (I had to freeze mine for a little while.) Work with one half at a time.

Place dough on lightly floured surface and form a ball, flouring all surfaces. Flour the rolling pin and roll the dough to 1/4 inch. Use cookie cutters.

Place on cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Sprinkle tops with sugar.
Bake in 400° oven for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vegan baking is definitely interesting. Although now that I've found a good yellow cake and chocolate cake, I've kind of stuck with those. But the vegan pumpkin pie I make at Thanksgiving is good and I'm very excited about these cookies and the book they came from. That magazine sounds great; I'll have to check it out.

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home