Thursday, December 14, 2006

Darn That Old Organic Nature of Reading


Well, folks, I hate to say it, but I might be bailing on the From the Stacks Winter Challenge. This is not a definite, but I don't think I'll be able to finish three more books from my shelves before January 30 in light of my current distraction, which is less becoming a distraction and turning into my new obsession--Young Adult novels. I just finished The Giver by Lois Lowry which was published too late for me to have read it at true YA age, 1993, the year I graduated high school. I could not put it down. I was riveted. I recounted the whole thing to my husband as I read. I started almost crying as I told him the ending. Need I say Toddler and I are going to the bookstore today to get Gathering Blue and Messenger, books related to The Giver? I also have Number the Stars from the library by her and I still want to get to A Wizard of Earthsea for a reread. I want to be disciplined but I have to go where the reading wind takes me.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I say you go get the books you want to read, put them on your stacks, and then pull them off to read for the From the Stacks challenge!!! ;)

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't bail out yet! I agree with Carl, just switch some of the books on your stacks :)

By the way, I love that bookworm christmas ornament. Too cute.

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks guys for the encouragement! I was thinking that I would like to read Galileo's Daughter which is legitimately from my stacks and then I would still read my YAs on the side.

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, switch out!

The Giver is one of those books that I can't believe I never read, and people continuously rave about it. I keep meaning to pick it up but for some reason haven't yet. Perhaps I'll remedy that over the holidays.

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home