Sunday, December 03, 2006

Christmas Meme-ories

Haven't posted in awhile because we've been working on this:



















and this:




















I saw this meme at Carl V.'s and Iliana's and it's just the kind of meme I'm in the mood for.

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Hot Chocolate, but M. loves egg nog and we just saw the Alton Brown episode that's all about egg nog. We love AB and if we try his recipe, I'll try some again.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree?
Santa wraps

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
white on tree, white on the outside of house; but when I was little in the late 70s and 80s we had colored lights on the tree and outside. The ones on the tree even blinked. Groovy!

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Nope

5. When do you put your decorations up?
Usually the first weekend in December

6. What is your favorite holiday dish?
Christmas cookies

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child:
I guess Christmas morning with my parents and brother and sister when we all still believed in Santa: the excitement of going to sleep on Christmas Eve after our annual party with extended family, getting up early, staying in pajamas all day playing with our new stuff, the dinner with grandparents that night

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
When I was 8, I was lying in bed on Christmas Eve and my mom went into the closet in my brother's room across the hall from my room (he was a newborn) and pulled out a huge black garbage bag and headed downstairs. I knew then it was full of our "Santa presents."

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Before my parents moved here, we had our annual Christmas party with my dad's brothers and sister, my grandmother, and the 10 cousins. We always played a card game with two decks: one was dealt out to everyone, and the other one was held by my aunt. She called out a card and if you matched it, you picked a wrapped gift from the pile. Then when there were no more gifts in the pile and your card was called, you had to steal from someone else. When all the cards had been turned in, you opened what you were left with (sometimes nothing.) That would qualify as the only gift I ever opened on Christmas Eve.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
Lights, garlands of red and green beads, and a string of fake candy, then the red balls we call tomatoes, then the little glass balls, then all the other ornaments, usually the Hallmark Keepsake ones last just because they're stored in their original boxes at the bottom of the ornament box.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
LOVE IT

12. Can you ice skate?
Yes, but I haven't done it in a long time. When I was little, my mom took my sister and I to lessons and just regular skating every weekend at Warinanco Park in Elizabeth, NJ. The smell of winter and a big woodburning fireplace mixed with the smell of snack bar fries will always be tied to that place in my mind.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
Any book, my skis when I was 17, my ice skates when I was about 11, and maybe my cassettes of Use Your Illusion I and II when I was about 16. Younger than that and, like Iliana, I loved Barbie's and all her accoutrements.

14. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
great excuse for baking cookies, parties, togetherness, family time, decorations, the general feeling of excitement and anticipation in the air

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
Christmas cookies! also pie and coffee

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
putting up the Christmas tree, first with my parents and siblings and now with my husband and son

17. What tops your tree?
(copying Carl V. for posting picture)

I like this OK. It was a gift from MIL. I would probably choose something different if I had the chance. But when I was little we had this star with a cutout in the middle of it. In the cutout was a cylinder with a paper roll of little stars in it and when you turned it on, the cylinder rotated, shooting light stars all over the room. Kind of in the vein of a disco ball. Told you we had a groovy tree back in the day.



18. Which do you prefer: giving or receiving?
Both, but I do love the feeling of giving something that someone actually really loves and you can really tell. It's a great feeling.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
The Little Drummer Boy, any version. Remember the ice skating mentioned above? Well, there was this skate guard there named Ken who I had the BIGGEST crush on. I must have been around 10 or 11. He must have been 22 or 23. Every weekend we would hold hands and skate around the rink and while I was doing my lesson, he would skate with my sister. It was totally not creepy or anything. Anyway, I remember him singing this song with me while we skated around. I do like the Bob Seeger version. I just have to say, one song I don't like is that "Baby, It's Cold Outside" one, especially when sung by Regis and Joy Philbin. When Nick and Jessica sang it, it wasn't that bad.

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum?
Yuck! I hate peppermint! But I like the way they look as decorations.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too fun. And, I love seeing the pictures. I have a similar angel on my tree, which I did manage to put up this weekend. Yea.

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home