Friday, November 24, 2006

Poetry Meme

Cam tagged me for this. Thanks!

1. The first poem I remember reading/hearing/reacting to was
the nursery rhymes my grandmother used to say with me when I was really little. I remember Simple Simon and one about putting salt on a bird's tail that I loved.
2. I was forced to memorize (name of poem) in school and........
I remember my whole 9th grade English class having to memorize Shakespeare's sonnet 29. I remember snippets like "trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries" and "look upon myself and curse my fate" and that's about it.
3. I read/don't read poetry because....
I generally don't read poetry but I always have this plan to. I guess it's just because I'm so taken with the book form that I don't give poetry the time it deserves.
4. A poem I'm likely to think about when asked about a favorite poem is .......
I remember in 8th grade LOVING "The Highwayman" by Alfred Noyes. That got me into poetry for a little while, but eventually I left it again.
5. I write/don't write poetry, but..............
I used to write poetry in high school and college when I was a way more dramatic version of myself and had huge emotions to get out. Now I never do. Am I too self-censored now? I hope not.
6. My experience with reading poetry differs from my experience with reading other types of literature.....
I think that I just can't speed along through poetry like I can with other literature and that's to my detriment. I need to slow down. And sometimes when I read at night, depending on the pacing of the book I'm reading, the words keep going through my head when I try to sleep, which defeats the purpose of my reading before bed. So maybe poetry before bed will help me slow down and savor ideas and words instead of getting a frantic brain.
7. I find poetry.....
sometimes boring; sometimes inspiring; sometimes beautiful and interesting
8. The last time I heard poetry....
was when I read Tumble Bumble by Felicia Bond to my son before he went to bed
9. I think poetry is like....
unlocking inner thoughts and emotions that cannot be expressed any other way

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home