Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Hey! What If . . . . .?

Here's an idea I just had which was triggered by Cam's poetry meme. What if there was a website something like A Curious Singularity but for poetry instead? A Curious Singularity was started by a group of people who wanted to further their understanding of the short story. I almost joined this group when they first started but that was right around when I closed down my old blog and took a break from blogging for a few months. I wanted to join because I've just never been able to really get into the short story. I've bought anthologies and collections and read them in magazines and I'm always like, "Ehh," at the end. So I thought that would be an interesting group to join. (I actually might go back to August and read everything they've read so far.) But anyway, back to my idea. It's kind of the same thing with poetry. I don't have a good understanding of it but I'd love to expand my knowledge base and get into it more and, based on other people's answers to Cam's poetry meme, other people seem to feel the same way. Plus, I need some suggestions about where to start with poetry. I recently bought a Mary Oliver book at the used bookstore, but it's all about the dead animals she finds in the woods behind her house and it's just kind of gross. There are a few poems in there that I really like, though. And I'm curious about Adrienne Rich and other contemporary poets as well as classic ones. I thought about maybe reading a poem a week and posting about it, but I feel like that would be boring to read.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that would be a great idea. I love poetry although I certainly don't read enough of it. I think sharing our thoughts on a particular poem would definitely help with understanding it.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Anne Camille said...

Camille -- I like this idea. One way to do this might be a site that lists the poem/poet to write about and the due date, and then enable comments for participants to post their links. I think this would work with either one common poem, or each participant writing about a poem by a particular poet, on a specific theme, from a certain country/time period. Lots of ways you could do this.

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, I like the idea of writing about a poem by a particular author, but not necessarily everyone reads the same poem. Then you could get into discussions about a poet's body of work and get turned on to a wider range of poems based on what other people have read. I'll have to see if more interest develops eventually. This blog is not that well known yet. :)

11:24 PM  
Blogger Anne Camille said...

Camille,

Email me about this, please, if interested in doing something like this. Link to email is on sidebar on my blog.

11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home