Sunday, November 19, 2006

Everybody's Doing It: The Aspirational Meme

So Litlove has written a meme that has appeared on many of the book blogs, and who I am not to jump on the proverbial bandwagon? The chocolate genoise for the Swiss Black Forest Cake is in the oven for my dad's birthday. Both men are sleeping, the big one and small one. So I think it's time for a Sunday meme.

1. What part of the past would you bring back if you possibly could?
This may sound weird but somehow I must explain. It would be being a kid and living with my immediate family. Like elementary school age. Of course, not everything was perfect and there were always issues, but I was less aware of them at that age and I sometimes (especially at holidays) miss the camaraderie of living with a brother and sister and two parents and dog and cat. I love my life now and living with my husband and creating that same (albeit more functional) environment for my kids, but I just loved being a kid myself.

2. What character trait would you alter if you could?
I would have more patience and not be as bossy to my husband, especially regarding Toddler

3. Which skill would you like to have the time and energy to really work on?
Writing. I talk about it a lot and do it very little.

4. Are you money poor, love poor, time poor or freedom poor?
I'm going with freedom poor. A two-year-old kind of limits where you can go and what you can do. But I don't begrudge this. I don't want him to grow up too fast and I know my time will come again when I'm not the necessary Mommy anymore. And then I'm sure I'll miss that time, too.

5. What element of your partner’s character would you alter if you could?
He needs more patience sometimes.

6. What three things are you going to do next year that you’ve been meaning to do for ages but never got around to?
Now that I'm not teaching cake decorating anymore, I'm going to make my former class night into a writing-outside-the-home night. I'm going to get licensed as a home baker so I can make cakes for my friends' new children's party planning business. Hmm, I'm going to finish the Christmas cross-stitch I started for my mother-in-law a year and a half ago. She didn't get it for Christmas last year and it won't be ready for this year. Maybe Christmas 2007?

7. If your fairy godmother gave you three wishes, what would you wish for?
OK, I'm not a science fiction nerd, but I would really like to be able to time travel. I just have this burning, yearning desire to go back in time and just see everything and everyone in certain time periods. I wouldn't even have to get involved, just observe. Like now I'm reading Mayflower and I would LOVE to be able to go to Plymouth in 1620 and just see it all as it really happened. Second, I would wish for a greater awareness of global warming for everyone in the world so we can slow and ultimately stop whatever is not natural. And third, continued health and increasing happiness for all family and friends.

8. What one thing would you change about your living conditions?
Less stuff + slightly bigger house = breathing space (and room for downstairs bookshelves)

9. How could the quality of your free time be improved?
Well, I take what I can get and I try not to do housework during naptime so I can use it for my dabblings (reading, listening to classical music, baking, blogging) but I suppose if I slept longer at night, I wouldn't fall asleep reading at 2 in the afternoon and therefore I'd get more reading done. But I'll probably continue to go to bed too late because I also like my adult time after Toddler goes to bed.

10. What change have you made to your life recently that you’re most proud of?
I quit my cake decorating job and I was offered a position with our local writers organization as their second paid employee. I was interviewed and, for all intents and purposes, hired, but now the actual hiring has to pass through a board meeting. So if all goes well, I suppose I'll be quite proud of my new job.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger litlove said...

I do love reading people's answers to this meme - they are so fascinating. You have my every respect as a woman who can clearly bake cakes! And I remember well when my son was 2, and how little time there seemed to be. He's 12 now, and things really do improve. Your job at the writers' association sounds really cool!

3:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Camille - Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love "meeting" bookworms. Don't mind me as I check through your blog here :) And, congrats on that new job of yours! Wow. Hope all goes great.

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home